Brave Rewards allows users to tip sites and content providers using BAT directly in the browser. Tips can be sent directly as a one-time payment or set up on a recurring schedule every month. These donations differ from your monthly Auto-Contribution budget even though they are are pulled from the same Wallet.
Sending tips in Brave Rewards
The tipping system was designed to make supporting content creators a simple and painless process. To tip a website or content creator:
- Launch Brave and navigate to a web page you’d like to support
- Click the Rewards icon on the right-hand side of the address bar to
reveal the Rewards Panel (image right)
- In the Rewards panel, click on “Send a Tip…”
- The sites Tipping Banner should now display at the top of the browser
- (image below):
- In the tipping banner, the domain of the website you're supporting is displayed at the top and the tipping options. You can send 1, 5, or 10 BAT per tip.
- Choose the amount you'd like to donate, check the box if you'd like to repeat this donation on a monthly basis, then click "Send my tip" to complete the transaction.
How tips work in Brave Rewards
When you tip a content creator, a few things happen.
- Your tip is sent in the background from your browser to Brave’s servers. This process ordinarily occurs within a few minutes of you pressing “Send Tip”, but under certain circumstances -- e.g. a temporary loss of connectivity -- it can take longer. As soon as the tip is sent, the amount is withdrawn from your Brave wallet and the tip is reflected in your Brave Rewards screen.
- Within ten days of Brave’s receipt of your tip, the content creator you tipped will be able to log into their Brave Creators Portal and see your tip included in their pending payments -- the sum of all tips and other contributions from all Brave users.
- By the 8th day of every calendar month, Brave pays content creators for all pending tips and contributions.
This system is designed to preserve anonymity -- so neither Brave nor any content creator can determine who tipped which content creator — while preventing the possibility of fraudulent use of the token grants distributed to users by Brave.
We are working toward a more immediate payment process, which will reduce the time it takes for a tip to get from your browser to a content creator. Stay tuned; we’ll keep you posted as we make improvements.
Video Tutorial - How do I tip websites with BAT?
Still have questions?
If you would like to request further assistance, get more information or this article didn't address your issue, please reach out to us on our Brave Community website.