If you have specific concerns on upgrading related to Brave Payments and Rewards, visit this article.
Upgrade on Windows and macOS
- Visit the official download page to download the latest version.
- When the download completes, double click on the installer and Brave will initiate the installation process automatically.
- After completing the installation process the new Brave will launch and you will be greeted with the Welcome Tour. See "How do I import or Export Browsing Data?" for more information on the import process.
Updating on Linux
Linux users can update to Brave-Core by following the install instructions for the Release Channel here.
After the Update
What happens to Brave's old version (Muon)?
Brave Muon will remain on your machine and will continue to function even when the new version has completed installation. This is to ensure that user data isn't lost or overwritten.
What happens to my data?
No data stored in the old version of Brave (i.e. bookmarks, history, or wallet information) will be lost or overwritten. Any profile or browsing data will stay in the same place as it was stored before the update:
- ~/AppData/Local/brave (Windows)
- ~/Library/Application Support/brave/ (macOS)
- ~./config/brave (Linux)