You can restore your browser settings in Brave at any time. You might need to do this if apps or extensions you installed changed your settings without your knowledge. Your saved bookmarks and passwords won't be cleared or changed.
- On your computer, open Brave.
- At the top right, click Menu → Settings
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Linux, and Mac: Under "Reset Settings," click Restore settings to their original defaults Reset Settings.
- Windows: Under "Reset and cleanup,” click Restore settings to their original defaults
These steps won't provide a full reset. For example, some settings like fonts or accessibility won't be deleted.
What changes when I restore my settings?
On your Brave profile, the following settings will change to the default
- Default search engine, which is changed back to Google
- Homepage and tabs
- The new tab page
- Tabs you have pinned
- Content settings, like letting a site show you pop-ups or use your microphone
- Cookies and site data, like items in an online shopping cart
- Extensions and themes
Troubleshoot reset problems
Settings menu missing or won't open
If the settings menu doesn't open or isn't there, Brave might have a problem. To fix, uninstall and reinstall Brave.
Brave reset my browser settings
Sometimes, programs that you install can change your Brave settings without you knowing. For your safety, the browser checks if your settings have been changed every time you launch Brave. If Brave notices that something’s not right in your settings, it will automatically go back to the original settings.
Settings that might automatically get reset:
- Default search engine
- Startup pages
- Pinned tabs
Still have questions?
If you would like to request further assistance, get more information or this article didn't address your issue, please reach out to us on our Brave Community website.