If you're seeing some of these problems with Brave, you might have unwanted software or malware installed on your computer:
- Pop-up ads and new tabs that won't go away
- Your Brave homepage or search engine keeps changing without your permission
- Unwanted Brave extensions or toolbars keep coming back
- Your browsing is hijacked, and redirects to unfamiliar pages or ads
- Alerts about a virus or an infected device
In the future, avoid unwanted software by only downloading files or visiting sites that you know are secure.
Remove unwanted programs (Mac)
Before you reset your browser settings on a Mac, check your computer for unwanted programs.
Manually remove malicious programs (Mac)
- Open Finder.
- On the left, click
- Look for any programs you don't recognize.
- Right-click the name of any unwanted programs.
Move to Trash.
- When you're done, at the bottom, right-click
Reset your browser settings
- On your computer, open Brave.
- At the top right, click Menu -->
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Linux and Mac: Under
Reset Settings, click
Restore settings to their original defaults
- Windows: Under
Reset and cleanup, click
If you removed unwanted programs or reset your browser settings, you might need to turn some extensions back on. To turn extensions on, at the top right, click More --> Tools Extensions. Only turn on extensions you trust.
Still not working? If the steps above don't work, visit the Brave Community.
More info about malware
Learn what to look for when you have malware on your computer and how to stay safe online.
How to avoid malware in the future
- Watch out for things that look too good to be true. Winning a contest or getting expensive copyrighted content for free is sometimes a trick to get you to download malware.
- If you haven't recently run a virus scanner, be wary of warnings about viruses or infected devices. The site might be trying to scare you into downloading unwanted software.
- Only download files or visit sites that you know are secure.
If a popup about updating or downloading a program looks suspicious, don't click on it. Instead, go to the program's official website to download it.
Still have questions?
If you would like to request further assistance, get more information or this article didn't address your issue, please reach out to us on our Brave Community website.